Makes approximately 8 pies
: Ingredients :
2 sweet apples (I used 1 granny smith & 1 honeycrisp), peeled, cored, & diced
1/2 c. coconut sugar + plus more for sprinkling
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 T vegan butter + more for brushing (I used Earth Balance Soy Free)
3/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 T cornstarch mixed with 1-2 T of water
2 pre-made pie crusts
: Instructions :
- In a medium sauce pan, heat apples, coconut sugar, butter, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, & nutmeg. Stir together & cook on medium-low heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch & water mixture, bring to a boil, & cook an additional 2-3 minutes on low until the “caramel” thickens*
- Transfer caramelized apples into a bowl & allow to cool completely in refrigerator.
- While the apple mix is cooling, Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Line a baking sheet & cut pie crust into circles using a 4.5 inch circle pie cutter.
- Place about a tsp. of cooled apples in the center of the dough*
- Fold one side of the dough to meet the other to create a 1/2 circle.
- Using a fork, gently seal the edges of the 1/2 circle & make a small slit on top to allow the steam to escape during baking.
- Lightly brush pies with butter & sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Bake 17 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool a bit & ENJOY!
*Make sure to stir with a silicone spatula so the mixture doesn’t stick to your pan.
*Make sure not to overfill the pies…the caramel sauce will leak out.
These Apple Hand Pies were a hit in my house! You can enjoy them with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or some whipped cream, but they are delicious on their own!