Raise your hand if you would rather eat the cookie dough instead of the actual cookie! *RAISES HAND* I recipe tested this several times to get as close to real raw dough as possible. This time around I added ground flax seed & it ended up being a game changer! My recipe is vegan, but you can substitute for non-vegan ingredients if you prefer. Here is a healthier spin on edible cookie dough that your kids (& you) will love!
1/3 c. vegan butter (I used Soy-free Earth Balance)
1/4 c. coconut sugar
1/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 T. pure maple syrup
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 c. ground flax seed
1 c. baked flour*
1/4 c. nutmilk (I used SILK Protein Cashew Almond Milk)
1/4 – 1/2 c. vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life dark chocolate morsels)
*Take the time to bake your flour. It will kill any lingering bacteria, like E. coli, & it will also add a delicious nutty flavor to the dough.
- To bake your flour, heat oven to 375º. Lay out flour evenly on a baking sheet. Bake for 6 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before adding to your dough
- Cream together butter & sugars, mix until smooth
- Add in vanilla, maple syrup, & sea salt
- Add in flax seed, baked flour, & slowing add nutmilk until everything is well combined
- Fold in chocolate chips, refrigerate for at least 20 minutes*, then ENJOY!
*My kids & I prefer the dough after it’s been in the freezer! My favorite way to store the dough: line a baking sheet, form dough into small balls, & freeze for an hour. After that, you can store the dough balls in a freezer bag & when you want a treat, grab one & YUM!
Now I just need this spoon!
NOTE : From now on I will only be posting my recipes on the blog, so head over to Instagram & follow me @manda_hsah for more fun & content!